Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Life simulates art ....

...or TV, in any case. Ever see the Showtime TV show, Weeds? More specifically, the intro in which a line of SUVs (Range Rovers, I think) are exiting subdivision? I saw this this morning, the Corona del Mar version, that is.

I went for a walk and on my way home I was coming down the alley and at opposite ends of the alley, black SUVs were pulling out of their garages at the same exact moment, same angle, everything. Then they passed one another. One guy was on a cell phone. Of course.

Remember that old Animals' song with the lines: We gotta get out of this place / If its the last thing we ever do / We gotta get out of this place / 'Cause girl, there's a better life / For me and you ...

Uh, yeah.....the song is very much on my mind. The show is interesting, but I don't want to be living it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes - the whole scene is sick. There are places one can go to if one is couragous enough. On the other hand one can simply stay and write about it like Steve Lopez does in the Times.

BellaKarma said...

I'm following oglethorpe's advice... maybe I can enjoy a career I love by profitting from watching my neighbors become consumed by theirs.