Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Book Soup, Dutton's, West

Rumor has it that Book Soup at South Coast Plaza is closing at the end of March. I had my first book launch there and liked the store, only I must echo that lousy refrain, Location Location Location. It's too hard to get to the store for book browsing. You have to park in the South Coast Plaza parking lot and hike a ways to get to the store. So much easier, I have to admit, to pull up to Borders and run in. Too bad. I do like the store.

I had my other book launch at Dutton's in Brentwood, one of my favorite bookstores of all time. All these little outposts circling a courtyard. But the landlord has other plans, wants to upgrade and keep Dutton's but Dutton's isn't so sure.

And finally, West, the magazine that accompanies that Los Angeles Times on Sunday will no longer be publishing fiction. The future of the magazine hangs in the balance, so I hear. I hope they bring the essays back. I always looked forward to them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that the loss of fiction in West is something to be mourned. I think that fiction in a newspaper just doesn't work, even if it's in the Sunday magazine. And to be honest, I've never even noticed the presence of fiction there to begin with.