Friday, May 18, 2007

Friday at Starbucks

I almost didn’t make it today. I awoke at 4:00 a.m. and couldn’t get back to sleep until after 5:00. When some orchestra or another on the clock radio blasted me awake at 6:21, what I really wanted to do was go back to sleep.

Then Travis came into the bedroom, told me he was going to take a shower and I willed myself to get up and start his breakfast.

But I mulled not even getting changed, driving him to school in my polka dot pajamas and fuzzy pink slippers, come home and rest.

But then I told myself: Only two hours. You only have to work for two hours. Walter Mosley was in my head. He was on my show yesterday talking about his new book, which I love: This Year You Write Your Novel. His work ethic can make the best of us feel guilty. He says you should write every day. You should not miss one day.

I agree in theory, but on weekends, it doesn’t work for me. There is weekend stuff—things with Travis, church, the flea market, schtuff, and more schtuff.

So this morning, after I made Travis breakfast, a PP&J sandwich for his lunch (that’s all he wants!), washed and dressed and got myself and my writing things together, I took him to school and let my vow to work five days a week on my novel draw me to Starbucks near UC-Irvine.

I ordered Awake! tea, took it to a round cherry wood colored table and sat before my laptop.

Next to me a student was online. That’d be easy, mindless, fun, I thought.

But I vowed to not check email here at The Office.

And so I got to work.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you sister...and I bet you felt so much better for it didn't you?? :)

Woz

Anonymous said...

You bet I did.

Deirdre said...

Last night I went to hear an author speak about writing, about the actual process of getting a novel onto paper and into the world. He did a math sequence on the board to show how writing every day, 250 words a day, will give you a decent sized novel in one year. It made it all seem possible. I'm glad you pushed today, although staying in polka dot jammies sounds wonderful too.

Ashley said...

congrats. I need to get in this habit.

Becca said...

I'm so enjoying your posts from "the office." I agree that it helps to get away from home to work. Not only do I write at home, I sometimes do my "day job" work at home as well. It's really hard to stay focused with the siren sound of all our other obligations so close at hand.

Thanks for the inspiration to get out there and write!